My life in Haiti - Aug '04 to Feb '06

Friday, August 06, 2004

Rebecca


This is Rebecca. She is one of those kids who I just don't know how to describe! Very full of energy and also very brave. When she fell off her bike and ripped off most of the top of her baby toe, she never cried even though I could see in her face that it hurt ALOT! I had to pour peroxide on it to clean it off and determine exactly what had happened and how bad it was and I wanted to cry but she took it like a champ. Then we went to the hospital to just make sure that they couldn't do anything more than I could as the flap she had tore off was still partially attached and the nurse was looking at and checking out her foot and actually pulled on the flap of skin and Rebecca just squeezed my hand a little tighter. I thought for sure when she put the iodine on her toe and then put the bandage on that Rebecca would cry but nope! So when we got back to the house, I gave her and all the kids a lifesaver candy and told them that it was all because Rebecca had been so brave and they had better thank her for their treat.