My life in Haiti - Aug '04 to Feb '06

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

things....

Things that I will miss in Haiti
  1. Ronel!! (my fiance)
  2. devotions every morning with the kids & staff
  3. Martha's good Haitian coooking and Ronel's mom's delicious pates (a fried dough thing with yummy stuff inside)
  4. the sun and its warmth!
  5. my kids
  6. the friends I've made here
  7. walking the canal
  8. the beautiful scenery outside my door
  9. the night sky - with such an abundance of stars visible!
  10. the Creole language
Things I won't miss in Haiti
  1. roosters crowing at all hours!
  2. trucks laying on their horn at 3am
  3. Needing security 24/7 (and having them need a gun!)
  4. standing out because of my skin colour
  5. repetitive meals! (though I LOVE the food - you get tired of the same thing over and over again!)
  6. not being allowed out after dark (which is 6pm!!)
  7. the need to shower multiple times a day because you're sweating so badly!
  8. being called blan
  9. cockroaches, tarantulas, mice, and any other unwelcome animal!
  10. being HOT almost all the time!
Things I'm looking forward to in BC
  1. hanging out with my friends & family
  2. playing with my nephews
  3. speaking English
  4. not standing out in a crowd because of my skin colour
  5. food - so many different foods that I have missed! - lasagna, 7 layer dip, chicken breasts (in any form!), steak, a BBQ burger from Cactus Club, nachos, .....
  6. minichurch, Sunday morning services in English - and PT's sermons!!
  7. the ability and option to go shopping (if and when I want) without a 4 hour drive and the possibility of not finding what you need.
  8. playing a good game of Canasta with Stacey!
  9. Being able to go out WHENEVER I want! Being allowed to drive alone, after dark(or after 6pm!)
  10. following God as He leads me in a new direction and into a new adventure!
Things I'm not looking forward to in BC
  1. being cold!
  2. having to prepare my own meals - all the time! (Yes, I'll admit I've been spoiled!)
  3. the possibility of snow
  4. being apart from Ronel
  5. being cold! (have you got the idea - I don't look forward to being cold!!)

6 days left...