My life in Haiti - Aug '04 to Feb '06

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

oh the joy of electricity!

Okay, it is 2:47pm and we have had EDH (Electricite D'Haiti) since 11:00 pm last night! This is absolutely wonderful as we also had it almost all day yesterday and it turned off around 6:30pm and so I only had to run the generator from 6:30 till 10pm and I have been able to work all day on the computer without running the delco (generator in Creole) at all today! I love saving gas and means no noise too! I am really praying that this continues as this also saves the hours on the delco before we need to change the filters (which we can not currently get in Haiti due to a customs strike!) EDH (pronounced like EddieAsh) all day also means that I have been able to sit in front of a fan and so today has not seemed all that hot and ice is being frozen in the freezer as I speak.

This morning, thanks to the brilliance of my younger sister Rhonda, I enjoyed an ice tea slushy. She had mentioned that I should freeze juice or pop in ice cube trays and then eat them frozen. Well, this morning I found that my ice tea cubes were too hard to eat so I put them in the blender (thanks to EDH I had current to use the blender!) and added some more ice tea that I made a little sweeter than normal and blended it all together into a beautiful smoothy/slushy. I don't think I have ever enjoyed a slushy more than this morning! I have been dreaming about them for 3 months and now I can make them myself!