My life in Haiti - Aug '04 to Feb '06

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

What is a regular day anyways?

I don't know any more what regular day is like? My days are so far from regular. At any time I have a half dozen staff who need me, calling my name. Karen used to complain that she heard "Mom" a thousand times a day and now I completely understand.
Life is definitely more interesting when you are the only one in charge! Thank God for email and instant messaging, as I have been in regular, almost constant at times, contact with Karen while she is out in Canada. It is the only thing keeping my sanity!! Seriously! That and the fact that I can connect with family and friends over MSN too.

So today, I woke up and was amazed that I had slept straight through the night for the first time in a LONG time. It was great. Though it meant I missed devotions this morning because I didn't wake up in time. "oops!" I started off my morning by checking Serlande's (our 13 year old diabetic) blood sugar and giving her her morning insulin shot. Even after doing it for over a month, I still do not enjoy it and don't think I ever will! She is a true sport about it though. She can give it to herself in the leg but she prefers me to give it to her in her arm.

I got my computer up and running to get started on my day and found emails that needed my reply and so got doing that. I then needed to send some of my staff on errands and so being Mademoiselle Finance I also had to find the money to send with them. That is my new title around here. I am "in charge" of all the finances - a job bigger than me but with God I can do anything! I then got called on to help figure out how to put a latch on one of our doors and then ended up sending another staff on an errand. This is all done in Creole, sometimes me doing more sign language than actually speaking as I try to describe what I want since I may not always know the words. I then finally got back to my computer to only have more people wanting me! Isn't life fun! I guess it all comes with being the "boss" and being in charge and around here, there is always a million questions to be asked!
More later