My life in Haiti - Aug '04 to Feb '06

Friday, April 22, 2005

Giving blood in Haiti

We had 3 young ladies here from Michigan for 10 days and we were taking them up to see the hospital as well as have me & Nicolas see the doctor. While there, one of the Swiss doctors came up to us and said "Hey, if you guys are looking for something to do, we need blood. Are any of you willing to donate?" We thought about it and the 5 of us said, Why not?, so off we went to get checked to make sure we were able. Greta was unable because she was only 15 but Janine, Chelsea, Chloe & myself were all able. So Chloe & I went first and actually it was considerably better than I thought! Having donated blood in Canada, I was sure that this would be quite different but not really. -Except they don't ask all the questions!! The gentleman who inserted the needle was really good at it and I didn't really feel any discomfort! (The Swisss doctor had said that he thought the technicians here are actually better at giving needles cause they do it SO many times a day, day after day) It went quickly and they gave us juice and Chloe & I went to sit outside while Janine & Chelsea donated.

I know I look scared in the photo but really I'm not! I was trying to watch them put the needle in Chloe's arm at the same time as he was doing mine.