My life in Haiti - Aug '04 to Feb '06

Thursday, December 29, 2005

only in Haiti..... the undie story

Okay,
So I just have to write about this because I was laughing so hard and trying not to pee my pants!

So today I have been doing a TON of laundry and Germaine has been hanging it on the line for me

About my second or third load, I did a load that was mainly undergarmets and whites. I had told Germaine that she could put most of my clothes on the clotheslines on the second floor (which is right outside my apartment) as there aren't that many lines down below and the kids clothes is getting washed today too. (plus I don't really need for my undies, bras and other such items to be on display for all the male workers!)
So Germaine comes into my office and comes over to my desk and asks me if I "soaped" my underwear before putting them into the machine. In Haiti, they have this soap that apparently is a good stain remover and they use it on all their clothes before they wash them with detergent.
I tried to explain to Germaine that not all my underwear were new and some of the "stains" were there from a long time ago and those were not everyday undies (come on ladies - you know what I mean!)

Germaine was clearly a bit upset and said that all my undies need to be beautiful. This was where I started laughing. I told her that no one sees them but me and I don't really care how beautiful they are as long as they are clean. Poor Germaine - she was horrified! She said that Ronel (my fiance) would be horrified and if he saw my undies he would tell me that I needed to throw them out! So, in an attempt to make her feel better, I told her that maybe I would need to just throw all my underwear away before the wedding and start fresh! She seemed to think that this was a great idea but said that I still need to learn how to soap my undies before washing so that I didn't need to keep buying new underwear!

I just had to share this because it made my day! I laughed so hard and thought it so cute how Germaine felt the need to let me know that my undies would not be acceptable should my future husband see them (which he shouldn't be doing until after he is my husband! - just thought I would make that clear!)

So, that is my day so far!