My life in Haiti - Aug '04 to Feb '06

Thursday, January 05, 2006

me & my hair extensions

I thought that I should post some photos of the extensions I got put in before I went home to BC in Nov.















This was me burning the ends of my braids - this had two purposes, would make them less likely to come undone (as opposed to just putting elastics at the end which can easily come out especially when sleeping) and also it cleans up the straggly bits that come from split ends in the
extensions. It was quite an adventure - last time I got extensions I didn't burn the ends and so this was a new experience for me. It took some practice to figure out how close to get to the flame but by the time I was finished I had it down pat! This was the finished product!









































Cecile & I with our braids

There was actually five of us on the compound with extensions at the same time - both of the mommies, Maudeline, Rose Martha (our two oldest girls) and myself.Plus we put in the left over extensions in Mirlande's hair (our youngest girl) there was only enough for about 10 braids but she was so happy and so proud of her braids! She had helped with putting in the extensions - she had held the hair for Maudeline after I prepared them to be braided into my head. She was quite the little helper and so I was glad we could make her happy by giving her some braids as well.





















So, that was my latest hair experience in Haiti - and I don't think I will be getting extensions put in again any time soon! It took Maudeline & Cecile probably close to 9 hours to braid the extensions into my hair (and alot of sore spots on my head from pulling when they were trying to get the braid nice and tight!) and then Amanda (who was visiting us for a month) and I spent probably a good 3 hours if not more putting in the elastics, burning the ends and making sure that they were all close to the same length. I enjoyed having them in and it sure made getting ready in the morning so much easier - you don't really have to fuss with them much - you wrap them at night (in a bandana) and in the morning you take off the bandana, finger comb them and you are ready to go -
Taking them out also took a long time - I think I did that over the course of two days at my sister's house. You have to unbraid the entire thing (or risk ripping out my own hair!) and that can make your fingers very sore!
All in all, I enjoyed having them in and would do it again if it didn't take so long to put them in and take them out. For now I will stick with getting my own hair braided into fun Haitian styles!