My life in Haiti - Aug '04 to Feb '06

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Friends

I have learned the importance of true friends, especially when you are 5000 miles from your loved ones. I have made many new friends here in Haiti, some from the US, some from Canada, and others still from right here in Haiti. I love how God knows all and has a master plan for everything. It amazes me how some of the people I now count as good friends and confidantes, I would never have met if I hadn't been obedient to the Lord's call and come to Haiti. I have my dearest friends from back home that I wouldn't trade for the entire world and who I always turn to when I need advice, a shoulder to cry on or just a listening ear. But I also have friends who I have met here who I can turn to and they may be able to understand a little better some of the struggles I go through as they have been here for mission trips or they have themselves lived here as a missionary.

I think of Eileen, who I lived with last year in Canaan (the school & orphanage where I lived and taught Sept02-June03). I count her as a dear friend and I left BC early before returning here to Haiti so that I could attend her university graduation as it was a huge accomplishment for her and I wanted to be able to participate in that special day. We are two very different people who were brought together by God. After living with her 24/7 for 10 months, we have a very special bond and we have been through somethings that others will never be able to understand. We can break into gut wrenching laughter at the slighest thing that may trigger some crazy memory from our time in Canaan. I am sure that some may have thought we were both crazy during my time with her in Florida as even just walking through the WalMart Supercenter made us laugh.

I could sit here and talk about all my wonderful friends but I don't think anyone would want to read it all. I know that I have friends who would drop everything to help me and many of them proved that last fall when my dad died and they were there for me. I know that I am the woman that I am today because of the friends that God has blessed me with. You have all left a mark on my heart and have helped shaped who I am, whether you know it or not.