My life in Haiti - Aug '04 to Feb '06

Friday, August 06, 2004

Mwen kapab!!

I can! (that is what the title means!)
And I did! I have now driven a "taptap" full of people. Tonight I went down to pick our 14 kids & two mommies and some people they knew who had been at the same soccer game asked for a "woulib" ride down to the bridge which is where we also live so I said that once all my kids were in the truck, if there was still room for them to be IN the back of the truck, then they could. Well, we all made it safely home. I have finally figured out the horrible "polis kouche" speed bumps. I can get over them without being worried that I am going to stall the truck or that everyone in the truck are going to hit their heads on the roof. They are so different than the speed bumps at home. You have to slow to an almost stop and then crawl over them. The taptaps take them at an angle, they seem to think it is better but how I can't figure out! I will never complain about a "normal" speed bump again! And I can get in and out of our so called road onto the bridge without having to back up and finish taking the corner which is a huge deal when you have crazy drivers on the road. As Nicolas, our driver, said today - "Ou fo" or you are strong (meaning I can finally actually drive like a normal person!) I have driven at 44 mph and I feel like I am going to get pulled over and given a speeding ticket even though I am probably the slowest driver in all of Haiti. I have passed a couple of trucks but usually because they are loaded to the max with people! I always feel like I am going so fast - until a truck flies past me! I still have no desire to drive a standard vehicle if given the choice but atleast I can when the need arises! I still have some things to perfect - like going from stop to start on a hill (or a slope!!) but I am sure that will all come in time!