My life in Haiti - Aug '04 to Feb '06

Monday, January 09, 2006

sweater wearing in Haiti!

Today is an unusual day! When I awoke this morning at like 5am, I was freezing cold and I looked out onto my gallery and still being half asleep - saw my new all white curtains, and thought - what! SNOW!??. I then realized it was my curtains but I was still cold. I went to devotions this morning in a long skirt and a sweater! Now, it was only a thin sweater but it is black and still quite warm. I had it on from 7am till 11:15am (and by this time the sun was out!) It was 25C and I had a sweater on!

Not even the Haitian staff or my kids were cold this morning - but there was the blan who is usually sweating up a storm, sitting in a black sweater and still shivering! The kids thought I ws joking but I wasn't - I have been sleeping with a blanket on my bed since June! It is a thin blanket but some nights even it isn't enough - last night I thought about getting up and getting a second blanket but I didn't want to leave the nice warm cocoon I had created for myself! But I will be pulling out a second blanket tonight and keeping it on the end of my bed so that if I am cold again - it is nice and handy!

The temperature has now warmed up to 27C and the high is expected to be 30C so we will see what happens - but for now I have taken off the sweater and don't think it will be back on any time soon...