My life in Haiti - Aug '04 to Feb '06

Thursday, February 09, 2006


This is a shot of the jam that was made from the "peel" of the grapefruits I used for juice last weekend. It isn't made from the outside peel but from the white part that is between the outer skin and the actual fruit. Ronel's mom boiled the white stuff twice, then mixed in sugar and boiled it again (between each boiling -she squeezed them and also cleaned them) Then she added tomatoes, cinnamon sticks (the brown bits in the photo), guava (the orange bits), and more sugar. (she would have also added cherries if they were in season and available but none to be found at this time of the year) This boiled for a long time and then it had to cool. Today, she then added in essence of vanilla (after it was cooled) and then put it into two jars. We sent Olritch to buy some bread and we all tried it. It is sweet and lots of chunky bits in it (which I am not a fan of!) but Ronel just piled it onto his bread and he loved it! He also ate some right off the fork! It was just another reminder to me how smart Haitians are - nothing that can be used, gets wasted. I would have just thrown that part of the fruit away! (I wouldn't have even peeled the grapefruit before juicing - I would have just cut it in half and squeezed the fruit half - or if I was so lucky - used one of those hand juicers things that you just twist the fruit on and it gets the juice out!) One more "Haiti first" for Theresa before she leaves!