My life in Haiti - Aug '04 to Feb '06

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Clear off the roads!

Theresa drives in Haiti!!!

Well, yesterday was my big outing to Port au Prince and it started off with a bang! Up at 3am to make sure that I did everything I needed to before I left, in the truck at 5:25am so I would be at Nicolas’ at 5:30am and we would be on our way. Well the truck wouldn’t start, wouldn’t start and finally 40 minutes later I called Carl, another missionary in the area to come help me figure out what was wrong. Diagnosis: Dead battery, so he jumped-started my truck and on my way! I then drove from my yard in Pont Deschapelles to Borel, past Borel to Coupon (which is as far as I have ever gone before) onto to Liancourt (and over 14 or so polis kouche’s –speed bumps) picked up Calerbe & his wife and continued to drive till just out side of Pont Sonde. I would have continued farther but it was market day and so traffic is totally crazy! That was about a 35 minute trip and by far the longest distance I have driven in Haiti, not counting the “bad road” between Pont Sonde & St. Marc where you drive at about 10 miles an hour. I am finally getting the hang of driving in Haiti but I still do not want to drive in St. Marc or Port au Prince. That will be a long time down the road (and after I have gotten my Haitian’s driver’s license)