My life in Haiti - Aug '04 to Feb '06

Saturday, August 21, 2004

colouring......

So for only the second time in Haiti, and the first time without someone to help me.. I coloured my hair. Getting my hair braided Haitian style reminded me that it was time as having so many places where your roots show is NOT a good thing when those roots have a lot of gray through them and your kids are pointing it out! Of course, they all noticed that my hair was different and wanted to know what I had done. I had bought different hair dye while I was in Florida just before I came down and am actually really happy with the colour. Because it being Haiti -I was needed while my head was covered in dye and so answered my front door with my entire head like a red/violet color. One of my kids thought my head was going to stay that way! I learned that gray hair is a thing of respect here and no one could quite understand why I want to hide my gray hair.. I tried and tried to explain that at 25 years of age, I do not want gray hair nor do I want people thinking I am older than I am.. Maybe down the road I will be more willing to let it show but not now.. One of my staff seemed to understand that.. and the rest I think just kind of summed it up as I am "blan" and not everything I do makes sense!