My life in Haiti - Aug '04 to Feb '06

Saturday, August 21, 2004

surviving...

Today marks ONE MONTH since Kevan and Karen left and I have been "on my own". I can barely believe it.. some days it seems like it has been two or three months while other days it seems like I just took them into the airport last week. I would have to say that I am doing just fine.... have had some challenges but think that these have all just been good learning & stretching experiences. I have had other missionaries and visitors tell me they think that I am very courageous but I just say that I am doing what I have to and I have nothing to fear.. God is with me and I have a wonderful staff. Now I am not saying that there aren't times when I am scared, lonely or homesick but I know that this is where God has called me, for such a time as this.. Even with a wonderful security staff on 24/7 I still get scared in the house all by myself.. Two nights ago, I was in bed almost asleep, the generator was off, doors all locked and I thought I was the only one in the house.... Well, then there was this loud noise in the kitchen and I didn't want to leave my bedroom but knew that I wouldn't be able to sleep if I didn't check the noise.. the culprit.. the cat! She had climbed in through a hole in the laundry room ( where the electrical wires enter the house - they haven't been finished yet and so it is still open - it is atleast 3 feet off the ground!) and had gotten onto to the kitchen table and knocked something onto the floor.. I had to laugh or I probably would have cried as I was sure that someone had gotten into my house. So back to bed I crawled and put on my discman and earphones and put on Third Day's Offerings CD and fell asleep singing praises to God. I know remember to shut the laundry room door so if the cat gets in she can't get any farther than the laundry room and I don't have to worry about wierd noises in the night...