My life in Haiti - Aug '04 to Feb '06

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I ♥ ----------?

This morning at 5:30 am 13 of us walked out of the compound and headed down to Borel... for no real reason at all, just for the fun of it and the exercise... Yes, I said exercise... The funniest part of it for me is that this was all my idea! The kids all jumped at the idea though and have been waiting anxiously for Tuesday morning to arrive..
So, I figured with all of us it would take like an hour to get there, no - it took us 35 mins there and 44 mins back... Mind you, that 44 mins is for Rachelle, Meladette & myself... The rest of them were WAY behind us... they probably got here 10-15 mins after us.. The people in Borel were quite surprised to see us walking up the road at 6:05am...
On the way back I was the tortoise in the "Tortoise & the Hare"..... everyone thought I wouldn't make it back (mainly cause I had a vicious headache) but slow and steady won the race... I just kept walking at an even pace and eventually outpaced them all.. Being typical Haitians, they would stop and chat, the kids were saying their legs hurt and the 2 girls and I just kept walking... and we were not walking fast by any means. Lots of people passed us and I am sure that some could have crawled faster than I was walking but I made it home and that is what counts... It was much hotter on the way back too and that didn't help in the least.. I am going to have to check the odometer on the truck so I know how many miles it was but it seemed really far! I had no pain and other than the heat & the headache I could have kept walking... though I must remember more water next time..and to stick it in the freezer overnight half full so it will stay cold. No one likes warm water when you are hot & sweaty. I took a photo of all the kids on our way down (yes, I am not in it - I know... you all want to see me too but it is hard when I am taking the photos.. I have had them take a couple for me but they are not always the best..) Will try and get that up here soon,,
I have to go get rid of this headache now... and get on with my day.. Though everyone, including myself for some crazy reason.. wants to do it again next week..